Tuesday, January 25, 2011

“Jesus Christ: The Greatest Story ever-told” A movie Reflection

First, I have to commend the movie as a whole as an interesting and worth
watching. The movie was unusually directed and made since its approach was the
human side of Christ. There were fewer scenes on extraordinary events which could
identify the divinity of Christ. I don’t know the rationale of the director but it was indeed a
worth reflecting one. There was also a little twist in the movie. There was an awkward
involvement of the modern period. The movie also shared that Jesus’ life is not only
historical and his teachings are still applicable in our modern times. Satan in the movie
is a modern man, who is always trying to shake the faith of Jesus.

Second, I’d like to share the fruits of my reflection upon watching the movie.
Particularly, on the scene between Mary Magdalene and Jesus I was moved by the
line, “those who speak in my name is my disciple”. Mary wanted to become an apostle
yet he felt like not accepted since Jesus only chose 12 but Jesus assured that those
who speak his name to others is an apostle. A question then was raised into my
mind, “How have I spoke the name of Christ to others?” I was left speechless to myself
and do not know the exact answer. I mean here in the level of sincerity in making the
Word of God be witnessed by others. It was a question on a personal level. I felt guilty at
the end while thinking about it several times. I may have been faithful to the apostolate I
was assigned in terms of time and presence but I felt I’m not doing my best as a disciple
of Christ because less heart and more mind is being used.

Third, I want to discuss the character of a particular person to whom I found
myself a little bit similar. His name is John, who is always sceptic. From the first
appearance of this person he was already doubtful and until the movie was about to
finish he was still doubtful on everything. Unless strong evidence is presented he
wouldn’t believe. I’m like him in one way or another like him because there are times
that I question and doubt. There are times that I create arguments to contradict the
teachings of the Church. I first have to convince myself that a certain teaching is true
unless it is explained to me clearly. However, every time I do this, I’m always hoping that
the same reply I will receive from Jesus when he said “Blessed are those who believe in
me but did not see.” These words are relieving to a heart and mind which is confused.

Finally, another aspect in the movie that I like is the presentation of Jesus as a
sociable and friendly person. In the bible Jesus’s actions seem to be always serious.
Jesus as an adult was portrayed to have liked dancing, plays water with his disciples,
and even running. The movie taught me to enjoy life despite of the problems and
struggles in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment