Thursday, August 29, 2013

Refelction on the Talk, "The Spirituality of Stewardship" by Cardinal Vidal


NOTE:
This reflection paper is the fruit of our class discussion  on the talk of Cardinal Vidal in the gathering of clergy in the Diocese of Malolos. The title of his talk is "The Spirituality of Stewardship." Our teacher in Pastoral Management, Fr. Rannielle Pineda, extended the good cardinal's talk to our class. Thank you Fr. Rannielle. 

______________________________

               I have been in the religious life for at least three years already since my first profession in 2010. According to our Plan of Augustinian Formation, the time of temporary religious profession is a vital process. It is in this period that we are expected to take a more intimate part in the community that shares faith, life and work, and in all that Augustinian life implies.  As we are being prepared for our solemn profession, we are being exposed to the kind of life that we are expected to do particularly our responsibilities as servants of Christ. Hand-in-hand with our responsibilities, the dark side of religious life plays also a salient role in our formation.
            The talk on the Spirituality of Stewardship shares a lot of positive insights regarding the role of priests in stewardship. But, as seen in real life, a number of bad experiences were given as examples. Even in the introduction of the copy of the talk its first example is really negative. It is like out of a bad experience we are trying to learn something good. I felt depressed, every time I hear mischievous practices of priests. I am worried of the future that I might do the same.  Knowing my weaknesses, it is really disturbing that I might do the same. Despite all the things I’ve heard, I have to flip the other side of the coin. I should not be worried of the uncertain future but rather to the certain present. The talk of Cardinal Vidal showed me that aspect. He was not simply talking about stewardship, but “good stewardship”.
            It is good that once in a while, talks like this remind us of our role as consecrated religious. The three important points, Entrustment, Empowerment and Espousal, regarding good stewardship shares also the same sentiment in my level of formation at present. The three points seems to be directed to the three objects of love namely, towards the self, towards others and towards God, respectively. I want to share this in relation to my level of formation.

            Entrustment is something that has been entrusted to your keeping. It is not yours, but is given to you as a responsibility. I think the talents and gifts that God have given to me seem to be that “something”. I was given the talent of doing graphic lay-outing. When I first discovered this talent, I felt it was a burden. Because of this, I’m losing my hair. I’m using eye glasses to see clearly. And I am not gaining weight anymore. As I last long in this field since my college years, I learned and am still continuing my lessons. I have so much entrustment to my talent and to others that I forgot to take care of myself. Stewardship in this sense then is not that one should live only for others but should also leave something for the self.
            Empowerment is to be given responsibility capable of making something grow.    With the talent that I have, I learned how to grow it. I had been the head of the Mass Media office of the community for three years. This office taught me how to empower others in order to continue our advocacy of bringing the Word of God to the new agora. I’m about to leave already the walls of the seminary as I am getting near to my solemn profession, I setting up things to whom I will pass the responsibilities to others, particularly to my members. If I won’t share it, then our primary vision and mission of establishing the office would be forfeited. I was one of the pioneering members of this office and I want to continue its mission by empowering my members before the formation year ends. It is a kind of love that I do for others.

            Espousal means that we are called to give back what we have received, not in form of payment, but as a claim of the lover on the beloved. Espousal seems to address our love for God, who is the source of our gifts in life. He is the source of my gifts. I think if I did not enter in the seminary, I won’t be able to discover my talent. I would plainly work like a factory employee, who only obeys and repeat the same thing every work hours. I won’t be able to develop my talents if God has not called me to the religious life. This third point reminds me of my relationship with God. As I am hoping for my solemn profession, I dedicate it to Him, who has been my faithful God even though I am unfaithful sometimes. Just like in a spousal relationship, there is a total exchange of selves. It is between God and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment