Saturday, June 30, 2012

13th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Mark 5:21-43)




Jairus' Daughter and the Hemorrhage Woman


"One of the synagogue officials, named Jairus, came forward. Seeing him he fell at his feet 


and pleaded earnestly with him, saying, "My daughter is at the point of death. Please, come lay your hands on her that she may get well and live."

He went off with him, and a large crowd followed him and pressed upon him."





Last Monday, we had a Lectio Divina in our community after our vespers. It was a fruitful reflection since I was able to share my life experience as the gospel relays to me a very much wonderful message about service. From the above quoted lines from the gospel, I saw a process of basic communication. There is a message and then a reply, just like a call and then an answer follows. As the bold or highlighted phrases tell me, the process of communication is indirectly present. 

In our Synoptic gospel studies, I remember that this is a common scene. There's a call, prayer or initiative coming from a human being and then it is followed by a response from God. In other words, it is like a form of a prayer that we ask and then later answered by Jesus. Human beings do the action and then God follows. "Nasa tao ang gawa nasa Diyos and awa." I suddenly remembered this passage from my classroom in my elementary years. 

As to my personal experience, as a friar gifted with talents on computer and digital things, there are a lot of people asking my help. There are times that I am obedient to give in from their request. There are times that I am willing to help them. There are enigmatic times that I do things as soon as possible as they requested it. However, there are also times that I loose my mood and attitude. There are also times that I feel uneasy dealing with their request. As if I have no choice but to follow them since I'm the only one who at least know what they need. 

The gospel reminds me of my imperfection towards my fellow human beings. In the Gospel Jesus, without asking further questions immediately followed Jairus, whose daughter is at the point of death and eventually died when they walked. I also wondered what did Jesus feel or what was in his mind when Jairus approached him for help. I think he immediately followed because Jairus has full of trust and faith with Jesus. This is so true since the following verses tell it all. His faith has healed his daughter and be raised again from the dead. 

Maybe, its implication is the same as to my experience. They approach and ask me to help them since they have trust in me that I could help them, like fixing a computer that needs reformatting. 

From the standpoint of Jesus, I should learn how to accept the gifts that God has bestowed on me and at least trust myself by gaining confidence and faith to my gifts. 
And on the other hand, from the standpoint of Jairus, I should learn also to ask help from others since I'm imperfect, who do not know everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment